only had half the yams, Cover and bake until yams are almost tender, about 25 minutes. The nice thing is you could make this for just 1 person, or make it for 8 – it’s up to you. Just slice up the yams, coat with olive oil, salt and pepper pepper them up, and roast on a sheet pan for 20 minutes. Sprinkle pecan mixture atop yams. So easy to make good yams, too. Maple syrup and pecans work well with the yams. I followed the recipe exactly, and found it to be perfect as is. so sweet. When the moisture is all gone turn the nuts out onto a baking mat or a piece … I love sweet potatoes and I'm always looking for the ultimate dish. In a large bowl, combine maple syrup, butter and seasonings through allspice. I have two grape vines, Worden and Viola variety, that gave me 50 lbs of grapes this season. Your email address will not be published. amount because it was Spread pecans in an even layer on prepared baking sheet. ★☆ This delicious side dish takes just minutes to prepare and the results are phenomenal! What a great idea! It was delicious and easy to make. Place pecans on baking tray. there was some left over. Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. I double the topping and also boil the yams for about 10 mins. Made this for Thanksgiving this year, as my sweet side. Perfect as-is. How to make candied yams. So simple and totally foolproof! Candied Yams will forever be a Thanksgiving favorite! Season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thicken, stirring occasionally. Add pecans and stir until they are well coated. 3 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into large dice. need more time to Hi, I'm Sylvia! A globally-inspired, seasonal, whole foods recipe blog to nurture body, mind and spirit. This was great! It takes about 35 minutes from start to finish with only 5 minutes of actual hands-on time. Rewarm, uncovered, in 375°F oven 20 minutes. With only 3 ingredients, these Oil-free, vegan nuts are sweetened with maple syrup and seasoned with salt. https://www.thespruceeats.com/maple-glazed-yams-recipe-102106 Candied Maple Pecans: Whole pecans candied with real maple syrup, fragrant cinnamon, and just the barest hint of spice and salt. items on the table. I have been making this recipe for 6 years now. I also boiled a gallon of juice down to a quart of grape molasses. thanks Terry! Professional chef, former restaurant owner and caterer, here is where I share hundreds of seasonal, globally-inspired, VEGGIE-DRIVEN recipes.Let's start cooking together! A super simple side dish, this recipe for Maple Roasted Yams with Pecans is vegan and gluten-free. Maple-roasted Candied Pecans made in just 15 minutes in the oven. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. times, it's great. Oh my goodness, Grape Molasses! Maple Cinnamon Candied Pecans {Paleo} These crunchy, sweet and salty maple cinnamon candied pecans are a breeze to make and contain no refined sugar or dairy. Candied yams are a classic of the Southern table, but most recipes suffer from a fatal flaw: a sauce that breaks into sugar and grease in the oven. I left out the pecans and used 2 fewer tablespoons of butter but it was still very tasty. If you are already a fan of candied yams, this is a great twist, with a yummy maple flavor that marries well with all the other flavors of Thanksgiving. Mix in pecans. Pour syrup over yams. Please, people - yams and sweet potatoes are NOT the same thing! Rate this recipe When they came in I of course came to your website first to see what I was going to do with them. really large yams This is going to be the only sweet potato I make from now on! A staple at all my holiday meals, there is rarely any left over. Place raisins in very large bowl. addition to all the savory Dot with 3 tablespoons butter. Great recipe! A super simple side dish, this recipe for Maple Roasted Yams with Pecans is vegan and gluten-free. 4 tablespoons unsalted butter. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/240158/candied-yams-and-marshmallows Using the time to harvest and store some crops. recipe several Cover and let stand at room temperature. Used Japanese, garnet, and 1 other variety sweet potato/yams. Great for snacking, salads, and top of … Transfer the casserole dish to the preheated oven and roast for 20 minutes. I love how roasting yams caramelizes the edges and gives them such great flavor. Reduce the syrup, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened. I'm afraid of saturated fat clogging my arteries so I left it and the flour out. I double the topping since it's SO yummy and in this case, more is definitely better. Pull them out, toss in some pecans, drizzle with maple, stir, then back in the oven for 10 minutes. ★☆ than the really I made a few changes. Ingredients 2 cup s raw pecan halves 1/2 cup real maple syrup 1 1/2 teaspoon s ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne Pour sauce over sweet potatoes, and bake for 20-30 minutes. ). Drain. ★☆. Great to hear! They’re a naturally gluten free and … amount of topping. I used it when I baked some salmon. I've made this was great, but we could And we have been known to eat the leftovers lightly heated the next day for breakfast with dollop of really good ricotta cheese alongside. While the sweet potatoes are roasting, roughly chop the pecans. You are quite the prolific gardener….what do you have left this season? This is a baked candied … I boiled the 3/16" slices 3-4 minutes, drained, them microwaved, covered about 4 minutes, with a little water on the bottom. I have been using this recipe for years but use the yellow sweet potato instead of red yams. This is not it, but it's very good and I'd make it again. Like other reviewers, I doubled the topping amount. Delicious to eat. It is beloved by all who taste it, and it is quite simple and quick to prepare. Recipe is too large for 4 people. Made this for thanksgiving dinner and a few in my party loved it although most wouldn't try it because the way it looked -- not appealing at all. Bring large pot of salted water to boil. 3 tablespoons maple syrup. The fact is, what makes a delicious southern candied sweet potato is the sweet syrup mixture composed of butter and sugar that gets doused over the slices of sweet potatoes. I will stick with the tried and true next time. This was just too sweet for our tastes. This 3 ingredient recipe is a such a snap to make: give it a whirl! It is one of my favorite times of the year. nice balance between the syrup and the nuts. large yams. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Winter squash and sweet potatoes should all be cured shortly and ready for storage. Roasted Yams with Maple, Dried Cranberries, and Pecans: Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net Drizzle of olive oil; 2-3 yams, peeled and large dice; Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper; 1-2 tbsp dried cranberries; 1-2 tbsp pecan pieces; 1 tbsp real maple syrup; 2 tsp butter, melted; Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. I hope your having a good harvest season. PNW Chef & 2018 Saveur Blog Awards Finalist! I would like to make these for Thanksgiving dinner today… can I make them ahead of time and reheat? This was my first year growing yams. I’m in the middle of a 2 week vacation. Combine butter, sugar and syrup in a small saucepan. Ingredients. Disappointing after all the good reviews. Was awesome....made it for Thanksgiving....was everyone at the tables favorite....definately will make again and not just at Thanksgiving! We Glad you enjoyed it! Cook until water returns to simmer, about 4 minutes. I also substituted half of the brown sugar with maple sugar for more maple-y goodness. 4. We had a fairly good year on the southern coast of Maine. Hi Sylvia, Store in an airtight container. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/candied-yams-with-brown-sugar 3. I do double the topping and everyone just loves it. My family and friends all insist I bring it to every Thanksgiving and Christmas. >> More, Roast 20 minutes in the oven. It Add yams. cook than the It’s my favorite part! but we used the regular More like a dessert than a side dish. they will definitely I’ve made jelly and some jam. Made it for Thanksgiving and will be making it for Christmas Day. It really couldn’t be any easier. It’s Sunday morning and this was my breakfast today. This is a simple recipe that makes a great dish. Ingredients 4 pounds sweet potatoes 2/3 cup packed brown sugar 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/4 cup butter, cubed 1/4 cup maple syrup Brian is out of town and I guess I just felt like having yams for breakfast. Be … It takes about 35 minutes from start to finish with only  5 minutes of actual hands-on time. Three ingredients, maple syrup, pecans, and salt. A good alternative to the standard candied sweet potatos with marshmallows or boring mashed. Bake in oven until pecans are golden brown, approximately 10 minutes. I don’t like super sweet so I salt the sweet potatoes to balance the flavor. Powered by the Parse.ly Publisher Platform (P3). Perfect for salads, bowls and holiday sides! Cool. And it’s that streusel-like crumble topping with brown and sugar and pecans that makes this dish a little different than the traditional candied sweet potatoes you’re probably used to seeing. Join us! each only eat a small Everyone enjoyed it. This 3 ingredient recipe is a such a snap to make: give it a whirl! This is a nice recipe. . Bake yams until tender, about 20 minutes. Salt and pepper. Easy to make and simply delicious! Here's a simple recipe that goes way back to the old restaurant days that comes in very handy, especially during the holidays. Shingle the slices in a baking dish. It has nice flavors and the topping adds a great crunchy texture. Add cooked yams, then maple syrup mixture and toasted walnut pieces. Otherwise if you use Instructions In a heavy bottomed skillet or pan, heat the pecans and maple syrup over low to medium-low heat, stirring continuously. Also, I made the topping just as the recipe says and it came out of the oven looking like it was dusted with flour. Tag @feastingathome on Instagram and hashtag it #feastingathome. was a great sweet Lovely in the presentation. I cut back on the maple syrup and this was still way too sweet. We had it This has been our family go-to recipe for the last 10 years. It isn't traditional, which is fine by me, because prior to this recipe, I didn't eat yams. Sweet and crispy. Scatter with pecans and drizzle with a little maple. It's difficult to find smallish yams/sweet potatoes in the stores. Bake, stirring after the first 10 minutes and then every 5 minutes thereafter, until almost no maple … ★☆ I know Washington State is a great wine producing state. I do add a splash of bourbon and cut back the maple syrup a little. Subscribe to my latest recipes and get my free, PLANT-BASED RECIPE GUIDE. Sounds divine and especially on salmon. Everyone loves the topping so I double that. Toss peeled and sliced yams or sweet potatoes with oil and salt. smaller yams rather Yams (orange-fleshed sweet potatoes), butter, real maple syrup, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, salt, coarsely chopped pecans and miniature marshmallows A printable recipe with the … Simple to make. Glad you are having a good year and enjoying your time in the garden. Rub in with fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. I then added the maple syrup/brown sugar mixture and baked, uncovered 15' at 400. Presentation is bleh, but taste was good with the pecans and not too sweet. Be sure to slice the yams about 1/4 inch thick so they cook enough. With a couple simple but critical adjustments, we can fix that, for yams that are silky, tender, and glazed in a syrupy lacquer. Lots left uneaten after supper. These candied pecans are not overly complicated, trust me this recipe is simple and so easy to make! https://myrecipeconfessions.com/entree/maple-roasted-pecan-yams Add remaining 5 tablespoons butter. Thanks! recipe calls for. for Thanksgiving, and it It was a less sickly sweet alternative to the candied yams with marshmallows we normally have. We enjoy these hot or room temperature. Butter 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small saucepan add maple syrup, water, butter, and brown sugar, bring to a boil. We haven’t had a frost yet so they can wait a little bit longer. This is now my holiday yam recipe. I still have daikon radishes, cabbage, and some parsnips in the ground. Good morning friends! I used only 3 and they weren't the largest in the bin, but towards the smaller side. Arrange yams in prepared dish, overlapping slightly. Nov 20, 2016 8 Comments ★★★★★ 5 from 2 reviews. Candied Yams with Bacon Pecan Syrup Recipe courtesy of A Chef’s Life This candied yam appetizer will be a hit at your holiday table -- its almost like starting with dessert. Mix flour and brown sugar in medium bowl. This was a huge hit at my Christmas dinner! Gently mix and then return to the oven for 10 more minutes, or until edges begin to caramelize and yams are tender. Plan on 3-4 ounces of yams per person and FYI, they do shrink up a bit in the oven. I used to swear by my mother's sweet potato recipe (replete with marshmallows on top), but this more subtle, but just as tasty, version has won out. Use good maple syrup. Not appealing to look at and not tasty. this was great - i only had 4 people over so i halved the yam recipe and kept the topping amount the same - i would definitely double the topping if you plan to use the whole recipe. I've been making this for ten years. Welcome to FEASTING AT HOME where you'll find delicious, healthy, VEGGIE-DRIVEN recipes with tips and tricks from a chef's home kitchen. Food writers should know better. Perhaps you have a couple of suggestions on what else I could cook with my grape molasses. My guests loved it and my daughter has requested it again. The butter never penetrated the top layer after putting the topping on so it stayed a field of white, nutty flour. try to use several Bake at 300 for 20-25 minutes, stirring once, until well browned. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20). After roasting for 20 minutes, add the chopped pecans, give everything a good stir, and then roast for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are very soft and the liquid in the casserole dish has reduced to a sticky candy coating. ★☆ caution though is Drain raisins (reserve brandy for another use). 4 pounds yams (red-skinned sweet potatoes), peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds; 1/2 cup pure maple syrup; 8 tablespoons (1 stick) chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces 4 pounds yams (red-skinned sweet potatoes), peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, 8 tablespoons (1 stick) chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Good as leftovers too! I love how roasting yams caramelizes the edges and gives them such great flavor. 2/3 cup roughly chopped pecans. 5. Rinse under cold water. Used about half the butter. Cover with foil and bake at 425ºF (218ºC) until potatoes are tender. Hey, I'm Sylvia! And while I love how easy this recipe is, too. This is a holiday staple in our house - Thanksgiving, Christmas and Chanukah! Perfect for breakfast- good idea! Remove from the oven and with a spoon, give the nuts a gentle stir to evenly coat the nuts with the syrup then allow to completely cool. It served 7 and Place on a platter or. Candied Sweet Potatoes are made with brown sugar, maple syrup, butter and cinnamon then baked until perfectly sweet and tender. Good morning friends! I'll probably use the food processor for the topping next time - seems easier than using your fingers. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Drizzle Maple syrup over nuts, season with sea salt. This was sickeningly sweet and a waste of good ingredients! That’s why I love these Candied Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Pecans. So good – I ate the entire thing! The one thing I'd Highly recommend! Try this - and the more pecans and maple syrup, the better! A very simple recipe for roasted yams with maple and pecans that is easy to make and takes 5 minutes of hands on time before going into the oven to bake.