It is a very common problem and the infection occurs in one of the tear glands or an oil gland, thus it doesn’t need any specific treatment, but a warm compress can help to subside the pain. I put some super booster in their water not too long ago. Read More: 11 Signs And Symptoms That A Baby Is Allergic To Formula. It is an infection in the glands of the eye. She is now 2months old and doing fine. These cookies do not store any personal information. It is eating and drinking just fine. August 2012 edited August 2012 in Poultry Health and Welfare. Yesterday I gave them Electrolyte and Probiotics mixed in water. However, it is commonly associated with symptoms of other internal diseases in the bir… Eyelids are red and dry She is grown up and both eyes seem to be healthy. There are many diseases that cause swollen eyes in chickens. It will cost a lot less than the cost … Read More: 11 Effective Home Remedies for Conjunctivitis in Children. We don't really know. Conjunctivitis, a common eye disorder, is usually caused by bacteria and can be identified as red and swollen eyelids, and may lead to photosensitivity (avoidance of light) in the bird. If the allergy is severe, doctors recommend the use of mild steroid drops. Visiting the doctor can always be a great attempt as the doctor can tell you the exact problem and clear all your doubts. Here are a few of the things that can cause swollen eyes in babies: 1. So let’s look into some of the significant causes and cures for swollen eyelids. This resembles a stye but it is actually a swelling in the eye due to clogging in the oil gland. This will help you know about the things you should warn your kid to stay away from. However, even in cases where trauma seems minor, every eye injury should be given immediate veterinary care. She eats and drinks fine and sees fine out of the other eye. If the symptoms continue to appear, it’s preferable to seek medical attention. Any inflammation in the eyelids or accumulation of extra fluid in the tissues around the eyes is called swollen eyes. Also socializes well with the others in the flock. Notice the eyes. It is a critical infection, so immediate medical attention is the best remedy for curing this infection. Coryza - Respiratory symptoms of this chicken illness includewheezing, sneezing, bad-smelling discharge of various colors (often yellow, grey, brown or red) from eyes and nares, facial swelling, or other general respiratory symptoms. In case the reason of swollen eyelids is any kind of allergy, oral anti-allergic medicines, antihistamine eye drops and lubricating artificial tears can be the best remedy to combat the symptoms. It gets more painful as it grows and can cause fever as well. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Often the eye will look cloudy. I know now she is a rhode island red/partridge cochin pullet. PrimroseChickens Junior Member. Maybe she had a hard time getting out of the egg. I have two poorly chickens who hve been isolated from the rest of my flock, They are lethargic, rather wobbly on leggs, dont stand much and spend most of the time with eyes shut and head down. Any inflammation in the eyelids or accumulation of extra fluid in the tissues around the eyes is called swollen eyes. Also, awareness and good care is the key to proper parenting. Hi can anyone offer advise? Hangs out right near the brooder and is pretty lethargic. I have a chicken with both eyes infected but one eye worse than the other. Mary M. Lv 4. Seems pretty dozy and i tried to get it to drink. In healthy chickens, vision is excellent during day light hours and extremely poor at night. Itchy, red and watery eyes caused by allergens can cause swelling in the eyes. Our chicken symptom checker tool allows flock owners to easily and quickly select symptoms their chicken might be experiencing, and provide a list of possible conditions.